Marriage / Green Card

Green Card Attorney in St. Louis, Missouri

rings Immigration matters are complex and confusing, making it difficult to successfully complete an immigration application on your own. Your application will have a greater likelihood of success with the help of a knowledgeable immigration lawyer, who works with you and assists in filling out the necessary forms and ensures your application is complete and accurate before it is submitted.

At the Law Offices of M. Margaret O'Hare, our firm is skilled at handling a wide range of immigration matters, including obtaining green cards. We take the time to review your immigration situation and explain the process so you understand what is happening and how long it will take. For a free consultation about help with work visas or family visas, contact our St. Louis immigration law office.

Green Cards and I-485 Forms

If an individual has entered the U.S. and is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, he or she may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status to permanent resident and obtain a green card.  This documentation provides legal identification and indicates the individual's right to reside in the country. This is not the same as citizenship, but it may be another step toward that status.

The I-485 form must be completed when obtaining a green card to change one's status. Adjustment of status is the request by the foreign national to apply for and obtain permanent resident status in the U.S. The I-485 form is used to report information about an individual's lawful status in the U.S. and any prior criminal or immigration problems.

Our firm understands the U.S. immigration laws and has many years of experience handling the completion of I-485 forms. We can walk you through the process and ensure the accuracy and completeness of your paperwork.

Marriage and Green Cards

Obtaining a green card through marriage is a rigorous process. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service officials receive extensive training on how to discover marriages that are false or are being completed only to acquire a green card for one of the parties. Due to the scrutiny of couples, there are many different interviews and types of proof that are required to be provided before a green card is issued.

We have handled many cases in which we have assisted our clients through the process of proving their marriage is legitimate. We can advise you on what to expect when going through this process. There are other ways in which to obtain a green card. Our firm can help you determine what your needs are in order to see that they are effectively met.

To learn more about your options for obtaining a green card, contact a lawyer at our firm for a free initial consultation. Our office hours are 8:30 to 5:30, Monday through Friday, with additional hours by appointment. We are conveniently located near the St. Charles Rock Road exit, Highway 270 near the corner of McKelvey and DePaul Drive.